I have lived in Capitol Hill for six years, and although that’s a blink of the eye compared to some long-term Hill residents, my wife and I are committed to the neighborhood and to improving our community. I grew up in Alaska, but I love living in DC and have made it my home. I believe the ANC is one of the most important ways to support our neighborhood and serve our city as it evolves and prospers. I hope to have the privilege of representing the residents of ANC 6B06 following in the footsteps of ANC 6B06’s great outgoing commissioner, Nichole Opkins.
For the past two years I have served as a resident member on ANC 6B’s Planning and Zoning Committee, giving me the opportunity to meet our neighbors and learn about their needs and opportunities. I have also enjoyed the chance to get to know the projects that will house our future neighbors. Now I would like to do more, which is why I'm running for ANC 6B06.
One of the most important roles the ANC plays is to provide guidance on development issues, and I will use my experience on the Committee to support responsible growth and development, including the effort to update and modernize our zoning code. To keep our community vibrant, I believe we must provide a mix of housing options and neighborhood resources that make it affordable and attractive for families and elderly residents to stay in the neighborhood, even as we welcome new neighbors. I’m committed to this in my personal life, too, through volunteering for Habitat for Humanity DC.
I have also served on the Hill East Task Force. As a committed resident of Hill East, I feel lucky to live in one of the most dynamic and livable parts DC. Ours is a vibrant and diverse community, and I hope to have the opportunity to work with my fellow commissioners to support and improve it.
- I support responsible development in Capitol Hill, to provide opportunities for current and new residents alike.
- We need to continue to expand transportation options for all residents, taking advantage of our great public transit options whenever we can.
- The ANC needs to work with public offices and nongovernmental groups to help long-term residents stay on the Hill and continue to be an integral part of our community.
- The Hill is wonderfully diverse, and we need to do what we can to support lower income families and given them opportunities to be part of our community.
- I support the city's efforts to modernize the zoning code, providing flexibility that will support affordable housing and new community amenities, all while maintaining responsible community oversight.
- I will help ensure our neighborhood is welcoming and safe, by encouraging improved access to community infrastructure and by working closely with public safety officials to makes our streets safe for all.